Toronto drivers, you are guilty. Guilty of finally becoming the road-hogging, rude, obnoxious and selfish city drivers others used to accuse you of being.
After living out of the city for almost five years and now being back for the last six months, I am dumbfounded by not just the volume of traffic on our deteriorating roads but how bad driving has become.
Toronto drivers, you are guilty of the following:
– of thinking the person who rolls through a Stop sign the furthest at a four-way stop has the right-of-way
– of making a right-hand turn from the far left lane, then acting indignant when someone honks at you
– for talking on the cell phone, oblivious to others, as you cruise along between 10 to 20 km/h below the speed limit
– for hogging the left hand passing lane and then “braking” hard when someone comes up behind you who is trying- oh my gosh!-trying to pass IN THE PASSING LANE
– for intentionally driving even slower when someone is attempting to drive at the speed limit- the only point you are reinforcing is how dull you are
– suddenly changing lanes by not signaling then acting surprised someone is there…in your blind-spot- which is appropriately called that because you cannot see it if you do not TURN YOUR HEAD to look at it
– treat the highway as your personal Autobahn, even using the emergency curb lane to pass or ride someone’s bumper
I could keep going on and on. All the above happen almost daily- just on my drive TO work. On the days they all happen, I feel like I should buy a lottery ticket because I hit the Keno Idiot Driver Jackpot.
I am not a perfect driver, I will admit, but my driving did get better while I was away from my beloved Toronto. Now, I drive more defensively than ever before in order to survive.
I do actually think there are more competent drivers than bad drivers on our roads because the road carnage would be far worse if it was the other way around. However, Toronto’s driving community is GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY! – of all the above.
Dear readers, weigh in and tell me if I am wrong or on the money!