THE SATURDAY SIX PHOTO: A photo from the Versace Vistas archive. Whenever I think of St. John’s I think of one brilliant sunny afternoon last fall. The weather had cleared and I got to see the harbour come to life, dock workers smoked with their Tim Hortons in hand, fishing boats prepared to head out to the Atlantic, cruise ships began to load and the breeze off the harbour was invigorating underneath the beaming sun.
YOUR SATURDAY SIX
- The Canadiens are Canada’s team: Despite what Toronto Maple Leafs fans deny, the Montreal Canadiens are Canada’s team in this year’s NHL playoffs. Whenever there is one remaining Canadian team in the playoffs- it becomes Canada’s team- its lone shot at bringing the cup north of the border. The Canadiens have played with incredible poise, grit and heart all Canadian characteristics and their goaltender Jaroslav Halak has been unbelievable.
- Noah’s Ark found…and I had breakfast with Bigfoot: Another in a long line of claims that Noah’s Ark has been discovered on Mount Ararat. Even if it is not hoax, how do they know the structure and wood they found is in fact the Ark and not some old mountain home?
- NASA is finding Neemo!: Earlier this week NASA launched its latest NASA Extreme Environment Mission Operations (NEEMO) underwater mission in Florida. These operations help NASA prep for planetary exploration.
- Was that an alien or the mailman?: Just in case you’re getting flashbacks of some strange alien abduction and not college frosh week flashbacks, here is an alien species identification resource….
- Talk about a close up photo!: Here is a collection of crisp and vivid photos of wild animals taken by photographer Jonathan Griffiths. Questions have been raised about how authentic these photos of “wild animals” are considering most of the photos were taken of animals in a preserve and not truly out in the wild. I’d like to see the poise of the detractors as a massive brown bears towers above them for his close up. What do you think?
- The volcano that keeps on ashing: A beautiful time lapse video of the Icelandic volcano that threw air travel into chaos.